26 July 2009

the fragrance of love

a soft sunday re-entry into blogging...first, thank you so much for your heart-felt words & prayers since the passing of my dear mother-in-law. in her passing she left a wake of love & faith...a hope of one day being together again which brings us great comfort.


i was glad today to remember one single impression & even more joyed by the prompt {fragrance}...thank you, geraldine for such a lovely one. my mind has been curiously wrapped up in sound lately. i have been contemplating my favorites~~ church bells, train whistles, bagpipes, chant. they will likely become another blogpost, but today it was not hard to make the leap from sound to scent. so many times an unsuspecting fragrance transports me to something with such a sudden rush...what a powerful sense, what a wonder. recently i was getting something from the top shelf of my closet & in the process my momma's blanket fell on me. i pulled it from its sack, burying my nose in it & breathing in the scent of my momma. it was beautifully overwhelming. i slept with the blanket that night.{fragrance}


nestled in my mind
seeded among the colors
of petunia & lilac
of climbing red roses,
the fragrance of love
pulls my heart
into a memory
of your perfume
of a moment snuggled in the pew
waiting for the incense
to tickle my nose
waiting to feel
once again at Home.gratitude for...
145. this powerful & glorious sense
146.for the love of family & friends that weaves together a quilt of comfort
147. for journeys completed in joy & safety
148. for my faith which sustains meplease visit OSI for more lovely poetry

15 comments:

Jim said...

I know you miss her so very much. I am sorry. My feeling about Mom is like being robbed, I have no mother now.

My Mother-in-law used White Shoulder cologne. We will always remember that.
My Mother-in-law (Mema)
..

SandyCarlson said...

Such a beautiful poem. The imagery is wonderful--and not an excess word. So full of love.

Annie Jeffries said...

Dear Deb,

As I read this, I could feel the sense of peace that is returning to your life.

Blessings,
Annie

anthonynorth said...

Some great words there. And welcome back.

Geraldine said...

Such a lovely post, beautiful!

I am sorry to read of your mother-in-law's passing.

Hugs, G

Amias (ljm and liquidplastic) said...

Ahhh ... this touches my heart. The photos are beautiful.

Quiet Paths said...

Heart-rending and beautiful. I can feel the moment of sitting in the pew.

zoya gautam said...

.. thanks for writing this ..

Bobbie said...

Gorgeous! Loved reading this, and was sucked in. Beautiful imagery.

Tammie Lee said...

wonderful and fragrant~

Spirithelpers

gabrielle said...

Love has so many ways of finding us. I was so deeply moved by this poem.
Thank you.

Tumblewords: said...

Amazing how comforting scent can be - may your grief be short and your memories long!

Jeeves said...

Lovely and touching.

lissa said...

what a great memory, and the poem brought out that memory nicely and I like that the last word is "home", because I think we always want to go home and so many things reminds us of that especially those things that are left behind by our love ones

Maggie said...

I am so happy your mama came to you in her fragrances at this time as you morn the passing of your mother-in-law.

Peace to you and your loved ones.